City Architect   +  New York

Appointments Part Two: Should You Edit or Add?
As promised, Appointments Part Two: Should You Edit or Add? has some interesting finds for your home. I have included ranges of size, price and style.

I hope you find something you like. If buying for yourself isn't an option, ask for a holiday gift that will grace your home. I always rationalize a gift for home as something everyone can enjoy. Even if it's a budget buster, there is added value in it not being tucked in my jewelry box. I also love having objects that my husband gave me on a holiday or special occasion.

Some items are from shops I visited while in New York several weeks ago (I hope they are still available), others are from on-line shops I frequent in my design work.If this item is your pick, call Flair in New York. This store is absolutely fabulous. Everything in the shop is wonderful. I placed some objet d'art in client projects but these are still available.Anyone who follows blogs, or interior design in general, knows the remarkable work of Vicente Wolf. These items are from his shop, VW Home. The shop has a great website but if you can't find them online, call Trudi, the showroom manager (she's awesome).

VW HomeBoth of these groupings have strong presence and appeal. Visit VW Home if either group is your pick.
I use vessels like this for large scale appointments. Visit VW Home.

This vintage art piece would give any space a cool vibe like no other. Visit Flair to purchase.A simple glass globe sits atop any table with style. Visit Flair to purchase.
Not in every location, but a little humor always helps lift the mood. Don't we all need a laugh at least daily, if not hourly? If this guy was in my midst, I would giggle every time our eyes met. Visit Flair to purchase.
Love this beautiful and elegant piece. Visit Flair to purchase.I think this would look fabulous on a coffee table in a formal space. Visit Flair.These jars are very large in scale. Sometimes it is better to have one big item than several small things grouped together. Visit Crate and Barrel to purchase.Buy 1, 3 or 5. I think these have a beautiful finish quality, especially for the price. Visit CB2 to purchase.

Love this pair of objects. Vist Flair.

FlairI use boxes in groupings alot. These, along with many others, are available at Flair.

I love the mecury glass candlesticks and urn. The reflective quality coupled with this mirror has an amazing effect. Also, the large scale appointment sitting on the floor is a great idea. It's a way to add interest without cluttering your console top.

I use lots of different metals in my design work. Silver, brass, copper, zinc all have a place in interiors. The antique brass of these objects help give this space warmth.

The use of books, as well as appointments, are an effective part of this room's design. Items atop pedestals highlight the beautiful art pieces used as appointments.

I love this appointment: a gardenia floating in water. Any flower that has a flat base will work to float (zinnias, dahlias, gerber daisies).

This tablescape has small paintings on easels or leaning as part of it's appeal. Also love the single apple.If these are your pick and what your room needs, visit Wisteria to purchase. Mecury glass is a favorite of mine. I always want something with sparkle and reflective qualities in my design.

This Ethopian Cross is a statement piece. No need to have much around it to compete. Visit Wisteria to purchase.My grandmother had many busts in her home. I spent a lot of time there as a child. Having them around has always been appealing to me. Now her busts reside at my mother's. They are so stately flanking her living room mantle. To purchase this one (it is small), go to Mecox Gardens.
Books, books and more books, I can't have enough. I have lots of bookcases in my home (and lots of books). Books are one of the easiest ways to decorate. Several strategies apply: go to the bargain book table at your local book store to find titles that speak to you, go to amazon.com or purchase these fun faux books from Z Gallerie.

I use bowls, or containers of any kind, for appointments. To purchase this one, visit Mecox Gardens.Another beautiful bowl from Mecox Gardens.I'm not sure what appeals to me about these, maybe their organic quality. I could see 3 used together in a linear fashion. Visit Mecox Gardens to purchase.

Another statement piece from Mecox Gardens.

Funky finds from Z Gallerie.

These cool cactus vases come in 2 sizes. I would use them together. Visit Mecox Gardens to purchase.
How many horse items can a girl have? I love them. Having spent my childhood in Kentucky, I have great comfort with horses in my midst. It's also amazing how many different aesthetics I use them in for client projects. They always look spectacular. Visit Mecox Gardens to purchase this one.

I hope you've enjoyed my two part series on Appointments. Please let me know what was helpful and what other subjects you would like featured on Ragland Hill Social.

We'll talk soon.

Gwen

Images courtesy of Elle Decor, Eric Cohler, Gwen Driscoll, Mary Evelyn McKee, Anthony Todd, Mecox Gardens, Wisteria, Crate and Barrel, CB2, Flair NYC, VW Home, Z Gallerie